Carried By Christ

O Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether. Psalm 139:1-4

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Matthew 7:13–14 Genuine Salvation

"Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

There seems to be a great many people today that believe watered-down doctrines that deletes the important message of repentance. These folks believe in an all-caring, nonjudgmental God who requires no repentance or a change in their lifestyle. They will say things like, "I believe in Jesus Christ, but my God is not judgmental. My God would never send a person to hell. But I am a Christian."

Ever heard the phrase, you can't have your cake and eat it to? No matter how much people desire it to be so, according to biblical text, we cannot have it both ways. Christianity is not a faith that is made up as we go. Scripture is very clear on this.

Such fondness of watered-down beliefs even resides in the church. Diluted gospel teachings may be the most dangerous plague the church is facing today, because it gives a sense of false assurance to the person who believes it.

The Bible speaks of false prophets who give false assurance. In Jeremiah 6:14, God says, "They have also healed the hurt of My people slightly, saying, 'Peace, peace!' when there is no peace."

It would be like going to the doctor when you are having a heart attack, and having the doctor tell you, "Oh, you are fine. You are being so dramatic! You will be OK."

There are ministers today who say, "God loves you and everything is fine. You can do whatever you want and live however you want to live. Let's just love one another and have a great time."

But that is a false gospel. Yes, God loves us. Yes, God receives any person who comes to Him. But He asks us to repent, meaning that we must turn away from our sins. If we are not willing to repent, and instead continue to practice sinfulness habitually and continually, then we are not experiencing biblical faith, nor the grace of Christ's offered salvation. If we do not place our lives in his hands and repent, then in the end we are not going to receive what the Bible describes as genuine salvation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home