Carried By Christ

O Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether. Psalm 139:1-4

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

James 5:17

Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.

Praying lightly throws contempt upon God's name and authority. In the midst of a storm in life nothing is more seasonable than prayer. We are then most humble, and the heart is broken and tender. It is necessary to exercise faith and hope under affliction, and prayer is the appointed means for obtaining and increasing these graces. In a time of turmoil it is not cold and formal prayer that is effectual, but the prayer of faith. The power of prayer is proven by the history of Elijah. In prayer we must not look to the merit of man, but to the grace of God. It is not enough to simply say a prayer. Thoughts ought to be fixed. Our desires need to be firm and ardent. The very power of prayer should encourage every Christian to be earnest in prayer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home