Carried By Christ

O Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether. Psalm 139:1-4

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Matthew 26:28-29

28For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
29But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.


The Lord's supper is to Christianity as is the passover supper is to Jews. However, we commemorate a much greater deliverance than that of Israel out of Egypt. By eating, we are accepting what Christ has offered us; receiving the atonement, approving of it, submitting to His grace and His government. To simply gaze upon a meal will not nourish the body. The meal must be eaten. So it is with Christ.

The significance of the bread in the Lord's supper is that of us partaking of his grace, and the blessed fruits of the breaking of his body. Christ's blood shed on the cross on that glorious day is signified and represented by the wine or grape juice. When with the disciples for the final supper, He gave thanks with the cup in His hand, to teach us to look to God in every part of the ordinance. The cup was giving to the disciples with a command, Drink ye all of it. The pardon of sin is given to all true believers; it is the foundation of all other blessings. Then when He departed from the supper, he assured them of a happy meeting again.

Until that happy reunion with Christ I drink it new with Him, understanding the coming joys and glories of that future time, a time in the kingdom of his Father.

But until then, let us partake in communion with seriousness, looking at the outward signs of Christ's body broken and his blood shed for the remission of our sins, while also recollecting that the feast cost Him so much, that he had literally given his flesh for our salvation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home